The featured church for July 2017 is St Edmund, Holme Pierrepont which is 6 km east of the centre of Nottingham.
The stone-built church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle (with a mortuary chapel/vestry at the east end), south porch and a west tower with a spire.
The church is Perpendicular but the south aisle and south porch were built in classical style in 1666. The chancel was restored in an elaborate Decorated style by the Nottingham architect, T C Hine, in 1878-81.
The south arcade is Early English and has quatrefoil piers, double-chamfered arches and corbel heads.
There is a 15th century octagonal font with shields and a stained glass east window by Powell & Sons installed in 1913.
The church contains many monuments to members of the Pierrepont family. The most impressive are two alabaster chest tombs in the south aisle. The earliest one is to Sir Henry Pierrepont (died 1499) and includes ‘a good, well-preserved alabaster effigy with a calm face’. The other tomb is to Sir Henry Pierrepont, who died in 1615, and was designed by John Smythson, son of Robert Smythson, Bess of Hardwick’s architect. There is also an elaborate monument at the west end of the nave to Princess Gertrude of Kingston which died in 1649. On the westernmost pier of the south arcade is a ‘strikingly good’ small tablet in memory of the poet John Oldman (died 1683).
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website: http://southwellchurches.history.nottingham.ac.uk/holme-pierrepont/hintro.php