The church consists of a clerestoried nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and an embattled, Perpendicular west tower with a tall spire (135 feet high), and a clock and six bells.
The 13th century south arcade has circular piers with moulded capitals, the 14th century north arcade as octagonal piers with leaf capitals. There are stone seats (1 foot high) around the base of the arcade piers.
The church was restored by Edwin Dolby, a London architect, in 1877-78. The tower and spire were thoroughly restored and the chancel rebuilt. A new organ was also installed.
A further restoration took place in 1895 led by William S Weatherley, formerly assistant to George Gilbert Scott Junior. The work included installing an oak rood screen and pulpit.
The church has four stained glass windows by C E Kempe.
There is an interesting memorial in the form of a wooden cross to Captain George Leigh Paget of the Rifle Brigade who died of wounds received at Kaapmuiden on 9 October 1900, during the Boer War. He was 30 and the eldest son of Sir G. E. Paget Bart. of Sutton Bonington, chairman of the Midland Railway Company. There is also a memorial window to him in the north aisle.
The 14th century stone font is unusual, being octagonal with quatrefoil panels and three projections for book, salt and candle.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.