The building consists of a nave, north and south aisles, a chancel under the tower, an apsidal sanctuary, transept chapels, baptistry, north and south porches. It was designed by William Knight (1869-71) and a west baptistry was built by S R Stevenson (1884); vestries were added by Heazell and Sons in 1905.
Interior features include an ornate pulpit and font made of Caen stone, an impressive alabaster reredos (donated by John and Mary Player in 1918) and an oak screen (now dividing the north aisle chapel from the choir originally formed part of the chancel screen) gifted by Mr and Mrs J.G. Mellers, in memory of their son Rex who was killed in action in 1915.
The church also contains many stained-glass windows dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, some by the renowned studios of Heaton, Butler and Bayne of London.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.