The church consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled west tower. The external walls are plastered in imitation of ashlar stonework.
The three-stage tower has an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, clasping buttresses and the stages are marked by bands. It was constructed of brick during the 1855-7 restoration: there is a rainwater head dated 1856.
The embattled nave has a square porch on the south side and several lead rainwater heads dated 1857.
The earliest feature of the church is the blocked three-bay Transitional south arcade. It consists of ’round, double-chamfered arches on round piers with moulded capitals one with nailhead decoration visible.’ The south aisle was demolished in 1786.
Inside there are 17th century altar rails with balusters and two large stalk and ball finials. Restoration work of 1909-1910 involved the replacement of a ‘curious three-decker pulpit and reading pew’ with ‘a new pulpit, reading desk, lectern, and chancel-rails, according to the early Jacobean designs of the Rev Henry Wardale Hall, former curate of St John’s Spittlegate, and Somerby.’ All the new church furniture was made of oak by Messrs. Curtis and Moore of Lincoln.
There are also mural monuments to Francis Launder (1822), by Joseph Hall the Younger of Derby, and W.F.W. Norton (1865). A stained glass window in the chancel in memory of the Rev. Robert Weatherell, Rector 1851-83, was presented by his widow.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.