The church consists of a clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with former south chapel (now demolished), embattled west tower and north toilet extension (dating from 2001). The chancel with two lancet windows in the north wall dates from the 13th century. There is a blocked arch in the south wall which presumably once provided access to a chantry chapel.
The nave arcades are both 14th century, tower and chancel arches both 13th century and unusually high. The south porch is 13th century or very early 14th century and has a stone roof on four transverse ribs.
The church was restored over a period lasting from 1864-1893. The later stages of restoration were by the architect Charles Hodgson Fowler.
Internal features of note include an octagonal stone font with quatrefoils and battlements from the 15th century and the east window with stained glass by Charles Eamer Kempe. The west window of the tower has fragments of a medieval cross slab re-used as lintels.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website: http://southwellchurches.history.nottingham.ac.uk/trowell/hintro.php