The featured church for February 2017 is St Nicholas, Hockerton, which is located 3 km north-east of Southwell.
The building comprises an aisleless nave with south porch, chancel, and west tower.
The earliest features date from the 12th century: a small window in the south wall and the unmoulded, round-headed chancel arch. There is 14th century work in the chancel as evidenced by the windows and the upper part of the tower also dates from this period.
The church underwent major restoration work in 1876 under the supervision of James Fowler of Louth.
Inside the church there is a decorated bench end dated 1599 and there is an arched recess with a decoratively carved 14th century niche in the south chancel wall – probably all that remains of an Easter Sepulchre.
On the north chancel wall there is an oval marble plaque to a former rector, John Augustine Finch, who died in 1780. A more elaborate monument to John Whetham (1781) is also on this wall.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website: http://southwellchurches.history.nottingham.ac.uk/hockerton/hintro.php