The church of St John the Evangelist, Perlethorpe, is the featured church for April 2022. The small estate village of Perlethorpe is located 10 km south-east of Worksop in the north of Nottinghamshire.
The church comprises a west tower of three stages with an octagonal spire, a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, organ chamber, vestry and south porch. It was built in the ‘conventional Decorated of Nottinghamshire idiom’ in 1876 for the 3rd Earl Manvers and was designed by the architect Anthony Salvin.
The Reredos is by Forsyth of London and is made of Steetley stone. It depicts The Good Shepherd with His flock. The four niches on either side hold statues of the four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
The ornate pulpit was designed by Salvin. The oak choir stalls are decorated with carved heraldic figures and mythological monsters. The pews, with beautifully cared roundels and hand-rests dated from the late 19th century and are probably by Charles Henry Simpson.
The east window is by Powells and depicts the Ascension of Christ to Glory, surrounded by angels and incorporates four saints: St Martin of Tours, St John the Evangelist, St James the Lesser and St Margaret. It was made by James Powell & Sons (Whitefriar’s Glass) of London and dedicated in 1911.
The south aisle window shows Ruth in a sun hat, gleaning. It is in memory of the 6th Earl Manvers who died in 1955.
The lych gate was erected in 1921 as a war memorial and commemorates the 11 parishioners who lost their lives in the First World War.
Further information on this church is available from the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.