The church of St Cecilia in Girton is the featured church for August 2021. Girton is 12 km north of Newark, on the east bank of the River Trent.
The church has a simple layout: nave, chancel and a gabled timber south porch. It is built of coursed blue lias rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. A sanctus bellcote is located between the nave and chancel.
It was heavily restored by the architects Ewan Christian and H. M. Townsend in 1879. The north nave wall was rebuilt at this time and contains reused lancet windows; the lancets in the south and west walls are original (13th century). The south doorway dates from the 14th century. Above the doorway is a fragment of possibly Anglo-Saxon carving with interlace.
The octagonal font on broached octagonal stem is medieval, the timber pulpit on a stone base dates from the 19th century. There are two marble memorial tablets from 1851 and 1864.
The chancel arch with half-pier responds with moulded capitals and water-holding bases is from the 13th century. Common rafter roof with struts to collar beam.