The building consists of a nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, and west tower. The stately tower was largely rebuilt in 1873, the chancel completely rebuilt in 1845 and there was a general restoration of the church in 1886.
Interior features include a 13th/14th century south door with fine decorative ironwork and 18th century graffiti, a poor box dated 1685, a 15th century octagonal font with plain shields in the panels, a memorial brass of Ralph Babington, rector of Hickling 1515-1521 and an impressive 10th/11th century grave cover decorated with ‘a cross and much wild interlacing and two beasts’ heads.’
Although the east window was installed in 1839 it contains many fragments of medieval glass.
Built into the west wall of the south aisle is an outstanding foliated cross slab dating from the early 14th century.
In the graveyard are a large number of ornately engraved 18th and early 19th century grave markers made of Swithland slate from the Charnwood Forest area of Leciestershire.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.