The featured church for February 2019 is the church of St Michael and All Angels at Bramcote, near Nottingham.
The original, medieval, parish church for Bramcote was located on Town Street but by the mid-19th century the village was growing rapidly so the decision was taken to build a new church on a greenfield site 0.3 km to the north of the old church.
It was designed by the London architect John Johnson and consecrated on 12 December 1861. Following the consecration of St Michael’s most of the old church was demolished although the tower was retained. It is likely that some of the building stone was taken from the old church after it had been dismantled.
The new church was built in the Decorated style and consists of west tower, chancel, nave and south aisle and south porch. The broach spire is 40 m high. Vestries were added to the west end in 1952. A parish centre was added in 1992, and in 2012 the church was reordered.
Some fittings and monuments were transferred from the old church, including the 13th century font which is decorated with shallow arcading.
The impressively carved alabaster reredos dates from 1925 and is a thankoffering for the twin sons of Noel and Kathleen Pearson.