The featured church for February 2020 is St Augustine’s church, Sookholme, which is located 6 km north-east of Mansfield. Historically it was a chapel-of-ease in Warsop parish.
The small church consists of chancel and nave only and dates from the early 12th century. After falling into disrepair it was restored in 1893.
It was reduced in size in the early 19th century when the west end of the church was demolished. The foundations of this part of the building were uncovered during an archaeological excavation by the Sherwood Archaeology Society in 1978.
The round chancel arch has double roll moulding, chamfered imposts, and shafts with simple leaf capitals. Pevsner (1979) was of the opinion that it ‘is simple enough to be as early as about 1100.’
The nave has a restored queen post roof with two 15th century cambered moulded span beams and curved brackets on corbels with a single foliate boss and carved head (described as a ‘rudely carved head of Christ with an extremely spiked halo.’)
There is an early 14th century cusped headed piscina and a stone bench (sedile) with damaged arms.