The featured church for February 2021 is the church of Holy Trinity, Wysall, 13 km south-east of Nottingham city centre.
The church is a built of lias limestone and consists of nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel and a single stage embattled 13th century tower topped with a spire with four lucarnes. The rest of the church largely dates from the 14th and 15th centuries.
However, the north wall of the nave is considerably older, is built of rough masonry and has a round-headed Norman doorway with a small window above.
The chancel and the south arcade (with octagonal piers and ‘capitals with large horizontal knobbly leaves’) date from the 14th century.
The nave and chancel roofs are 15th century.
There is a late 15th/early 16th century chancel screen with four seats with misericords on the east side.
The 13th century font is a plain bowl standing on a central shaft with four smaller shafts around.
The panelled pulpit dates from the 15th century and was discarded in the restoration of 1872/3 but reinstated in 1909. It is one of only two surviving pre-Reformation pulpits in Nottinghamshire: the other is at Balderton.
In the north-east corner of the chancel is an impressive alabaster tomb-chest to Hugh Armstrong (died 1572) and his wife, Mary.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.