St Stephen’s in the hamlet of Brough is a small Chapel of Ease built in 1885 as a Mission Church in the southern part of the parish of South Collingham.
It was built by the Smith Woolley family and is entirely of red brick with a pitch tiled roof and small wooden framed bellcote. The chapel consists of a nave and chancel with a north vestry integral with the main body of the church. There are no burials in the churchyard.
There are several stained glass windows. A single lancet window in the south wall is in memory of Major General Gordon, killed at Khartoum in 1885.
The most notable memorial in the chapel is a bronze memorial on the south wall of the nave with two figures either side in high relief to Thomas Cecil Smith Woolley (1853-1913) who undertook archaeological excavations on the Roman roadside town of Crococolana which lies beneath the hamlet.
However, the chapel only had a relatively short life. Being remote and poorly attended the PCC recommended it for closure in November 1985, exactly 100 years after its foundation. This was given formal approval on 24 January 1986 by the Bishop of Southwell. A few years later the chapel became the Diocesan Repository and has until recently been the main storage area for unused items from churches within the diocese.