The small building consists of a 5-bay buttressed nave, chancel, north porch, north and south transepts. There is a bell-turret on the western gable wall.
The church was built by the wealthy businessman, Joseph Paget, who lived in Stuffywood Hall in Derbyshire and was a senior partner in the William Hollins Company which ran several textile mills in Pleasley Vale. He decided that his household at Stuffynwood and the workers at the mills would benefit from having a local church to attend.
The church was originally built in the park at Stuffynwood. It was constructed of wood in 1876 and served by the vicar of Shirebrook. However, within a few years of it opening there was a disagreement with the Diocese of Lichfield over the style of services conducted in the church and Paget took the radical decision to dismantle the church and rebuild it a short distance across the border in Nottinghamshire which placed it in the Diocese of Lincoln and the parish of Mansfield Woodhouse.
The rebuilt wooden church was encased in brick with stone to make it look more imposing and opened in 1881.
The walls of the sanctuary are lined with wooden panels which are lavishly decorated in Arts and Crafts style.
The west window is the only one containing stained glass. It depicts St Chad.
The design of the original church and its furniture was by Cox & Sons of the Strand, London. The firm acquired much of the stock of furniture and gothic designs by Edward Welby Pugin, the leading Gothic architect & designer of the day who died in 1875. The pews, with their distinctive ‘X’ supports, looked like Pugin designs. The pews were sold in 2009 and replaced with wooden chairs.