The featured church for June 2017 is All Saints, Eaton, which is just over 3 km south of Retford.
The stone-built church comprises a chancel, nave, vestry, north porch and a bell turret containing a single bell. It was built in 1857-8 on the site of the medieval church, the whole expense of £1,200 being met by the landowner, H. Bridgeman-Simpson of Babworth Hall. It was designed in the Decorated Gothic style by George Shaw of Saddleworth.
Shaw also designed two of the stained glass windows, the west window which depicts the Crucifixion and the centre window of the south wall which portrays St Peter and St Paul. According to Pevsner the east window shows the Transfiguration and is by J R Thompson of Southwark and dates from 1874.
Only two features have survived from the original church: a 15th century cusped, ogee-arched piscina with crocketed hood mould and finial and a fine monument to John, Elizabeth and Francis Stringer dating from 1726.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website: http://southwellchurches.history.nottingham.ac.uk/eaton/hintro.php