The featured church for June 2018 is the church of St Peter and St Paul, Gringley-on-the-Hill, which is in the north-east of the county, 7 km from Gainsborough.
The church comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles and an embattled western tower with four pinnacles and six bells. The oldest bell was made by Robert Mellors in 1520.
The earliest feature is a Norman blocked doorway on the north side of the tower. The 3-bay north arcade has tall circular shafts with simple moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches, in Early English style. The pillar piscina in the chancel is also Early English.
The rest of the church is mainly Perpendicular, especially the upper part of the tower. The south doorway is Decorated whereas the north door is classical, probably late 17th Century.
The church was restored and enlarged in 1912 at a cost of £3100, including the strengthening of the tower, new roofs and the erection of a new south aisle and clergy vestry. The architect was the vicar’s brother, Harold Bailey of London.
Many of the fixtures and fittings inside date from the 1912 restoration.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project website.