Church of the Month

Categories: Church of the Month

The featured church for June 2019 is the Priory Church of St Anthony, in Lenton on the western side of Nottingham city centre.

From the early 12th century to the middle of the 16th century the parishioners of Lenton attended services at a church in Lenton Priory either in the conventual church itself or in another building within the priory precinct. After the priory had been closed and demolished in the late 1530s services were held in the chapel of the Hospital of St Anthony, a former monastic building on the northern part of the priory site. This continued until a new parish church, Holy Trinity, was built 0.5 km to the north-west in 1841-2.

After 1842 the priory church was neglected and in 1844 it was partially demolished, just leaving the chancel to serve as a mortuary chapel. However, from the middle of the 19th century the population of Old Lenton began to grow and the decision was taken to restore the chapel a make it a district church of Holy Trinity. It was rebuilt under the supervision of the Nottingham architects, Evans and Jolley, in 1885-6.

The church today consists of a chancel, vestry, and nave with clerestory, north and south aisles and porch. There is a small wooden bell tower with a lead-covered bell spike. The chancel probably dates from the 12th century and has a three-light Decorated east window with 19th century stained glass. On the south side is a 13th century pointed arched window with 20th century stained glass. The west window of the nave contains stained glass in memory of Sir Albert Ball (1863-1946), father of the famous First World War air ace, Captain Albert Ball, who was killed in 1917.

There is a 13th century piscina on the south wall of the chancel, and on the north side is a 19th century aumbry and piscina.

Above the chancel arch are the royal arms of either King Charles I or Charles II.