The church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin in West Stockwith is the featured church for June 2021. West Stockwith is in the far north-east of the county, on the west bank of the River Trent.
St Mary’s Church was built in 1722 by the trustees of William Huntington (a ‘ship carpenter’ who died in 1714) on the site of his shipyard. Almshouses for the widows of mariners and shipwrights were built next to the church as part of the same bequest but they were demolished some years ago.
It is a plain rectangular building in the Classical style, a single chamber forming both chancel and nave, with a bell turret on the west gable. There are three round-headed windows on each side, all of plain glass except for an inset panel of stained glass in the middle north window.
There is a north doorway with a moulded ashlar door case with frieze and cornice and double-leaf 8 panelled door with panelled overlight; above is a lozenge datestone inscribed ‘W.H. 1722’.
The main feature inside is a life-size marble monument of William Huntington, reclining on one elbow holding a drawing of a ship. The artist was Edward Poynton.
The glass is all plain with the exception of the central window in the north wall which has a panel of stained glass depicting Christ the Good Shepherd dating from 1842.
The communion table is of richly-carved oak. The altar place is emphasized by two Ionic pilasters.
The reredos and communion rails were installed in 1922 in memory of the parishioners who died in the First World War.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.