The featured church for March 2021 is the church of St Margaret, Aspley, a suburb in the north-west of Nottingham.
The church is a built of red brick with stone dressings and consists of clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and an embattled west tower.
The current building was designed in the modern Gothic style by the architect F. M. Heazell and erected in 1934-36 to replace a temporary prefabricated mission hall opened in November 1933 to serve the new estates of council houses built by Nottingham City Council. The Nottingham tobacco manufacturer, J. D. Player, funded the building work.
A tower clock was installed in 1953 and dedicated as a war memorial for the men of Aspley who died in the Second World War.
In November 1958 a peal of six bells was dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell. This was increased to 8 bells by 1959 when the bells were hung in a low-sided cast-iron frame for 8 bells by Taylors of Loughborough.
Several stained glass windows have been dedicated, two in the side chapel bearing the crests of High Pavement School, Nottingham University, St Aidan’s College and Southwell Diocese. The east window was installed in 1998 and is dedicated to George Newell. It was made by Michael Stokes.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.