The church consists of a nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, chancel, south porch and a crenellated west tower of 3 stages. The tower has 4 pinnacles with wind vanes bearing coats of arms and was largely rebuilt in 1778. The church underwent a ‘partial restoration’ in 1862, followed by major restoration work in 1901-03 and 1913-14 under the supervision of the Wiltshire-based architect, C. E. Ponting.
Domesday Book records in 1086 that at ‘Brugeford here is a priest and a church’, and evidence of a cruciform Anglo-Saxon church came to light during the restoration of 1901-1903.
The main upstanding walls are from the 13th-14th centuries. The nave arcades with their octagonal piers, the chancel arch and piscina and sedilia all date from the 14th century. The clerestory was added in the 15th century.
Two fragments of Anglo-Saxon carved stone were found built into the church walls. One fragment is incorporated in a south aisle buttress the other forms the base of the credence table in the Lady Chapel. Originally thought to have formed part of an Anglo-Saxon cross shaft they have recently been identified as fragments of a grave-cover dating from the late tenth/early eleventh century.
The font is dated 1662 and came from Bingham church in 1862. The plain wooden pulpit is late Georgian.
Two impressive chest tombs are illustrated in Thoroton’s Antiquities of Nottinghamshire (1677); regrettably, they were thrown out of the church in the 1770s and destroyed. A badly damaged effigy of a knight in chain mail was found in the grounds of the Hall and returned to the church where it was placed in a recess in the north wall.
A monument to John Hacker (died 1620) and his wife, Margaret (died 1627). They are represented by two kneeling figures looking at each other over a prayer desk; their 6 children are shown as kneeling figures in the predella below.