The featured church for November 2017 is St Luke’s church, Kinoulton, in the far south of the county.
St Luke’s Church was built by the Earl of Gainsborough in 1792-93 to replace the medieval church of St Wilfrid’s which was inconveniently located 3 km to the west, near the Fosse Way, and was demolished in the late 18th century.
The church was constructed of red brick and consists of a chancel, nave, west porch and three stage tower 20 m high containing a clock and 12 bells. The entrance is under the tower. There are four round-arched louvered bell openings in the tower, classical moulded eaves, cornice and a weathervane.
On each side of the nave are three round-arched window openings with raised cills, key stones and plain leaded lights. The middle window on the north side of the nave is blocked. There are three similar windows in the chancel, one at the east end with more decorative glass, and a blind window on each side. Part way up the tower is a similar west window. There is an impost band to this which continues around the tower and becomes an eaves band to the nave.
All the windows contain tinted glass quarries with the exception of the stained glass east window which depicts the Agnus Dei. The window was presented by a former vicar, the Rev Thomas Charlewood, who died in 1877.
Pevsner described the chancel as ‘nicely, domestically panelled’; however, the church historian, Charles Cox, dismissed the building as ‘mean and depressing’!