The featured church for October 2018 is the former church of St Oswald, Dunham-on-Trent, 12.5 km south-east of Retford.
The building consists of a west tower, chancel, nave and north aisle. It is of ashlar-faced stone in the Decorated style with diagonal buttresses, battlements and pinnacles.
The church has been restored twice: in 1805 the nave and chancel were taken down and rebuilt and in 1862 the Nottingham architects Evans & Hine replaced the nave (but retained the south wall erected in 1805) and chancel and added a north aisle. In 1903 the chancel was renovated.
The 15th century tower with embattled parapet and four crocketed pinnacles has four ‘spectacularly large’ arched and traceried belfry openings.
The pulpit is made of Caen stone with foliate decoration and quatrefoil front piece containing foliate moulding and the text ‘Preach the Word’ painted in red and gold. The reredos has elaborate tiled decoration on marble with blue background tiles and two foliate and geometrical patterned squares to either side of a large gold cross. There is an arched trefoil piscina with crocketed decoration above and, to the west, a sedile with a carved decorated arch above. All date from the 1862 restoration.
In 2011 the church was formally declared redundant.
Further information on the church is available from the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project website.