The featured church for October 2020 is the church of St George, Barton-in-Fabis, 8.6 km south-east of Nottingham city centre.
The church comprises west tower with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch and chancel.
The core fabric dates from the C14 and C15.
The chancel was restored in 1866-7 by G. E. Street. It has been suggested that the Nottingham architect, T. C. Hine, probably supervised restoration work on the church in 1877 and 1886. The tower was restored in 1893.
Embattled, angle buttressed late C14 single stage tower with attached circular embattled stair turret to the north east. The spire with four lucarnes dates from the early C15.
Pevsner approvingly noted the ‘excellent high unaisled chancel of the late C14 with tall windows.’
The ‘incongruous’ south porch with parapet and clasping pilaster buttresses was added in 1693.
The narrow chancel arch is impressively high and is double-chamfered; the four-bay C14 south arcade is on octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches.
The C14 sedilia and piscina on the south chancel wall have been restored.
The light in the west wall of the ground floor of the tower contains some fragments of mediaeval glass.
The church has several alabaster monuments to members of the Sacheverell family: Henry (died 15980, Raefe (died 1605), William (died 1616), William (died 1715) and Henry (died 1691).
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.