St Michael’s is a Grade 1 listed building consisting of a west tower and nave of the 13th century, a chancel of the 12th to 14th century, and a south aisle and north porch of 1883-84. The south nave arcade is 13th century indicating the former existence of a medieval aisle.
The church contains some fine stained glass windows including those by the famous makers Morris and Co and Edward Burne-Jones. Also in the north window of the chancel there is 14th century glass depicting some interesting characters including Eve spinning with distaff in her left hand and shuttle in her right hand and Adam digging with a T-handled spade.
Installation of a new organ was completed in 2009. This was built by Henry Groves and Son of Nottingham and consists of two manuals and a 32 note pedal boards and has 1049 pipes and 28 speaking stops.
We are fortunate to have a service every Sunday plus All Age Worship on the first Sunday of each month. The church choir consists of nine adults and nine children. Also a number of concerts, organ recitals and weddings are held in the church each year.
Within the last ten years several projects have been carried out which have received a grant from NHCT. The latest of these during 2012 was for improvements to the porch consisting of replacing or repairing deteriorated stone blocks and repointing where necessary. The work was carried out at a cost of £2,670 plus VAT and a grant of £500 was received from NHCT towards the cost of the works.
This, together with previous grants from NHCT, has been a tremendous help in enabling us to carry out an ongoing programme of maintenance and improvement, and is greatly appreciated by all who use St Michael’s Church.