The church of St Mary, Kilvington, is the featured church for December 2021. The small village of Kilvington is located on the border with Leicestershire, about 11 km south of Newark.
The church comprises a low west tower with short pyramical roof, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel and is constructed of grey-blue local stone. The church was built in Early English style in 1852 and was probably designed by the Newark architect Charles Baily. It replaced a medieval building (probably on the same site) which by the 1840s had been allowed to become a ‘complete ruin.’
The nave and north aisle are separated by an arcade of three bays of octagonal piers with moulded capitals supporting chamfered arches. There is a chamfered arch separating the nave and the tower and a chamfered arch separating the nave and the chancel.
The pews, stalls, reader’s desk, pulpit and octagonal stone font all date from the second half of the 19th century.
The east window contains stained glass installed in 1862-66 in memory of Algernon Andrews, Esq. and his wife and daughter. The window as a whole has six panels showing episodes from the life of Jesus.
There are two bells, both cast by John Warner & Sons of London and installed in 1854.
A medieval cross-slab, stylistically dating from the late 12th century, lies in the churchyard.