The featured church for January 2019 is St Giles’, West Bridgford, near Nottingham.
The church underwent major restoration work over the period 1896-1911 under the supervision of the architects, Naylor & Sale. Prior to the restoration the church consisted of a nave, south aisle, chancel, south porch and a crenellated single-stage west tower. Naylor & Sale added a large nave, chancel and north aisle on the north side of the old church, which was treated as a south aisle.
The church retains a medieval chancel screen from the late 14th century, with a plain octagonal font of the same date. The sedilia in the old chancel, with two seats, suggests that the chancel dates from the 14th century.
There is stained glass in all the main windows of the church, dating from 1901 to 2001. Stone carvings include grotesques in the old chancel and musicians in the new.
Within a 14th century recess moved from the old chancel to the new one, lies the badly damaged figure of a mail-clad knight with crossed legs. Known as the ‘Stone Man of West Bridgford’, he acted as a boundary stone in a field until 1893. It is possible he is Sir Robert Luttrell, a lord of the manor.
The ‘Belvoir angel’ close to the south porch is the oldest headstone in the churchyard.