The featured church for January 2020 is St Peter’s church, Stokeham, which is located 9 km south-east of Retford.
The small building consists of a nave and chancel, with a bell-turret on the western gable wall.
The Norman tub font is the oldest feature of the church as the masonry and the two lancet windows suggest a 13th century date.
The south wall of the nave contains evidence of a three-bay arcade which would have provided access to a south aisle. The aisle may have been demolished in the 17th or 18th century.
By the mid-19th century the church was largely unused because most of the population attended the Wesleyan Chapel which had opened in 1856. Stokeham was annexed to East Drayton at this time and remained so until the 1980s.
The church fell into disrepair and in 1921 villagers applied for grant to restore the building. The west wall was rebuilt, the roofs repaired and the south porch rebuilt. It reopened in 1928.
There is a mural monument on the north chancel wall to George Brown who died in 1796.
The west window was restored in 1930 in memory of the three local men who lost their lives in the First World War.