The featured church for November 2018 is the church of St Michael, Linby, on the northern edge of Hucknall.
The church consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, vestries, north porch and west tower.
It was restored in 1878 and in 1914.
The unbuttressed west tower dates from the 13th and 14th centuries and has a crenellated parapet and four crocketed pinnacles. There is a canted stair turret at the south-west corner of the tower.
The north porch with two diagonal buttresses each with traceried and shield panels and a slab roof. The gable has a shield panel and cross finial. The shield panels display the arms of the Strelley, Hunt and Savage families. The doorway has a squint to the east. The porch interior has stone benches and the roof is supported by transverse ribs. Above the door is a 12th century tympanum. The porch appears late 15th century with buttresses and decorative elements apparently added in the early 16th century.
The 13th century south arcade is of 3 bays and has 2 octagonal piers and responds. There are moulded square bases and nailhead and cable moulded capitals.
The Lady Chapel east window contains a fragment of late 14th century glass, possibly depicting a female saint.
There is a plaque commemorating a former rector, William Seddon (1663-1684), ‘who at the sight of the Anglican church gasping for breath, himself became breathless and rendered up his life to God through Christ on the 28th day February 1684, aged 50.’
Further information on the church is available from the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project website.