The church of St John the Evangelist, Scofton-with-Osberton, is the featured church for November 2021. The small estate village of Scofton is located between the towns of Worksop and Retford in the north of Nottinghamshire.
The church comprises a west tower of three stages, a nave and chancel under continuous roof, and north and south aisles. The church was built in the Norman Revival style in 1833 and was designed by the architect Ambrose Poynter.
The local landowner, G. S. Foljambe, had the church built as a memorial to his wife, Harriet Emily Mary Foljambe, who died in 1830 aged 21 giving birth to her only child, a son. There is a moving memorial plaque to her inside the building.
At the west end of the nave there is a Classical wooden screen with Ionic pilasters and cornice which also serves as a war memorial. Above is a panelled gallery displaying the Royal Arms of William IV that incorporates an organ case.
At the east end is a panelled reredos flanked by painted iron commandment boards and boards bearing the Creed and Lord’s Prayer.
Other fittings include an octagonal pulpit with traceried panels, an eggcup font and a Norman Revival style oak lectern.
The three light east window containing heraldic motifs is by Thomas Willement and dates from 1834. In the south lobby is a window installed in 1871 commemorating Foljambe’s wife and their infant son.