The featured church for September 2019 is the church of St Bartholomew, Langford, 5.6 km north-east of Newark-on-Trent.
The church consists of nave, south aisle, chancel and west tower and sits in splendid isolation 0.5 km away from the modern village.
The two-stage tower dates from the 13th century. The tower arch (with piers like those of the south arcade) has been blocked up.
A north aisle was demolished in the 16th century and the arcade blocked up to form the north wall of the nave. This followed the depopulation of the village in the 1550s.
The octagonal piers of the 15th century south arcade have castellated abaci. The clerestorey and chancel also date from the same period.
There is a damaged 14th century effigy of a knight in the sanctuary. It is probably a member of the Pierrepont family who were landowners here in the Middle Ages.
The Gothic box pews and pulpit are made of pine and date from 1841. The pews have cast iron poppy heads.
The seven-sided font of Sicilian marble was given to the church in 1878 by Captain George T. Duncombe of Winthorpe Hall.
Further information on the chapel is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.