The church consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and a pinnacled and embattled west tower. It was thoroughly restored by the architect, T C Hine, in 1876-7. Restoration involved heightening the chancel roof to accommodate the impressive east window filled with stained glass by Kempe, rebuilding the aisles (and widening the church) and partially rebuilding the tower.
The arcades inside the church date from the 13th century and have octagonal piers. The chancel screen dates from the 15th century but has been twice moved to the west end and has twice returned to its original position.
There is an alabaster monument on the north aisle wall depicting a gentleman kneeling before a desk on which there is an open book. Although there is no inscription the monument bears the coat of arms of the Bevercotes family who lived a few miles away and it is thought it commemorates Samuel Bevercotes who died in September 1603.
The church has a number of stained glass windows by Charles Kempe, Powell & Sons and the Camm Brothers of Birmingham.
Further information on the church is available on the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.